Fundraising guidelines

Safety in your charity fundraising
Collection Tins
House to house collections
Raffle and Lottery Guidelines
Joint promotions with companies / businesses

Safety in your charity fundraising
  • Always keep a close eye on children, do not let them collect money from strangers.

  • Make sure your event is safe - both in terms of venue and crowd control.

  • Be extra careful about security if you are carrying money around and don't keep large quantities of money in your house overnight. Bank it straight away.

Sponsorship Collections
It is perfectly legal to collect sponsorship from your friends, family and work colleagues (although it might be wise to okay this last one with your employer). Using an official sponsorship form like the one in this pack showing details and the registered charity number helps to validate your fundraising efforts.

Collection Tins
The National Deaf Children's Society can provide up to 2 collection tins for individuals who are fundraising on our behalf.

If your fundraising idea involves collecting money in the street or in a public place you will need a licence from your local authority and closed collection tins/buckets must be used, not open ones. These regulations also apply to house to house collections. Getting a licence will involve a certain amount of bureacracy and you may need to apply at least a month (if not more) in advance, so be prepared and plan ahead.

These regulations do not apply to collections made during a public meeting, during a private function, in a church/churchyard or to static collection boxes placed in pubs or shops, etc.

You will receive a copy of the collection tin guidelines when you order your collection tins.

House to house collections
Collecting goods/jumble is not generally regulated. Therefore, you MUST contact the local authority before you begin collecting to check local licensing requirements.

Raffle and Lottery Guidelines
Raffles and lotteries can be a great way to fundraise and bring in extra money at an event. The laws on lotteries and gaming are fairly complex and these notes should only be taken as a guide.

A lottery is the formal name for ‘a game of chance’ whilst a raffle is a colloquial name for a lottery, usually with no cash prizes. Lotteries come in many forms and are in general, regulated by the Gaming Board.

There are two types of lottery that can be held without the permission from the local authorities, the police, the Gaming Board or anyone else.

Raffles and Lottery
1.Small Lotteries/ Raffles:

  • Can only be held at an event where the raffle is not the main focus of the event e.g. fete, dance, dinner or sports day

  • All tickets must be sold at the event and the winner must be announced before the end of the event

  • No cash prizes are allowed

  • Alcohol can only be used as a prize if everyone attending the event is over 18 years

  • The maximum spent on prizes is £250 (excluding donated prizes)

  • There is no maximum/ minimum restrictions on ticket price and tickets can be sold to and by anyone as long as they are sold at the event only!

The money made from raffles cannot be used for “private gain” but can cover the following:
  • The expense of the event being held

  • Cost of printing raffle tickets

  • Cost of providing raffles up to £250

  • Sponsorship for Charity Challenge Event

2. Private Lotteries
  • Must be limited to all those people who belong to one group or who live and work in the same premises e.g. sweepstake in workplace

  • Every ticket must include the following: the names and addresses of promoters, information regarding who can buy the tickets, a statement indicating that the tickets are non-transferable

  • The price of every entry must be the same but there is no restriction on the price charged for tickets

  • Tickets may not be advertised outside the place of sale e.g. office or society premises

  • Tickets must not be sent through the post

  • Prizes can include cash

In this case printing costs may be taken out of the money but otherwise the money made must go on prizes or the group (including your sponsored event)

Bingo, Whist Drives, Bridge evenings etc
The following can be run ‘for purposes other than private gain’ if:
    Each player pays only once and doesn’t pay more than £3. This means that you cannot charge for each separate game in a session.
  • More than one session in a 24 hour period would be considered as the same session

  • Total value of prizes does not exceed £300

  • Only a minimal amount of money can be deducted for running expenses

If you want to run any kind of lottery where you sell tickets in advance, you must register with your local authority. They will send you a form with guidance notes. The fee for the first year is £35 with £17.50 renewal charge each following year.

This type of raffle allows extensive promotion and sales of tickets over an extended period of time and has the following restrictions:

  • You can’t hold more than one lottery at a time

  • The lottery must not be run for private gain

  • Total value of tickets must be less than £20,000 and you have to make returns to the Council after the return of each lottery

  • If the total value is more than £20,000 you will need to register with the Gaming Board

  • Each ticket must cost no more than £1, all tickets must have name and address of the promoter on them, the name of the Society, the price, date of draw, the fact you have registered with the local authority and are registered under the Lottery and Amusement Act 1976 and a registration number

  • Tickets can only be sold by and to people of 16 years and over and must not be sold in the street, or in any kind of gambling establishment

The National Deaf Children’s Society is licensed by The Gaming Board of Great Britain to run a national lottery. However this license does not extend to and cannot be used by individuals or groups raising money on our behalf.

Lotteries and raffles are a fantastic way to raise money and can prove to be a really successful way to raise money for your Challenge Event. Please be sure to follow the above guidelines and if you have any further questions, take a look at www.gbgb.org.uk or call the NDcs Challenges Team on 0207 490 8656

If you are holding a raffle as part of another event, for example at a school fete, where all ticket sales and the draw will take place during the event, you do not need a licence. However, you should obtain permission from the event organiser or the owner of the property.

If your event is to be held on private property make sure you get permission from the owner or manager. Some events require a licence from your local authority, for example:

Music/Dance Events - Indoor events where music or dancing forms a major apart and which are open to the public on payment of an entrance fee require a licence.

Public Theatrical Performances - These events require a licence, however, if they take place at a theatre, the current theatre licence will cover the performance.

Indoor Sporting Events - Indoor sporting events which involve physical activity and have a fee-paying audience require a licence.

Dinners, debates, quizzes, bazaars - This type of event does not require a licence.

Serving Alcohol at Events - To serve alcohol at an event you need a licence. For a single fundraising event an occasional licence may be granted by magistrates to permit the sale of alcohol. Contact your local authority for further details.

Joint promotions with companies / businesses
If you persuade a company to make a donation for every product or service purchased over a specific period of time, the law requires you to have a written agreement between the charity and the company.

Publicity materials
The National Deaf Children's Society can provide you with a copy of our logo and a breakdown of our corporate colours, please contact us for this.

Whenever you use the logo you must include the charity registration number, and we would appreciate seeing a copy of any materials including our logo so that we can approve them.

Image for Itinerary